Students are required to be on time for school. It is the responsibility of parents or guardian to assure that their children arrive on time each day. After (15) tardies, a referral will be made to the Early Warning Truancy Program and student may be removed from the Magnet Program. Any time that a student is absent, the parent or guardian must send a written note to school satisfactorily explaining the absence. A satisfactory note from parent or guardian meets the following State guidelines: Illness; death in the immediate family; inclement weather (as determined by the principal) which would be dangerous to the life and health of the child; legal quarantine; emergency conditions as determined by the principal; and prior permission of the principal and consent of the parent or guardian.
1. The note or doctor's excuse must be sent to school within three (3) days of the student's return to school to be counted as an excused absence
2. On the fifth unexcused absence, a student is referred to the Early Warning Truancy Program, and the student will be removed from the Magnet School Program. Attendance at the Early Warning Truancy Program shall be mandatory except where prior arrangements have been made or an emergency exists
3. A written note from parents or guardians, as described above, will excuse absences for up to but not exceeding eight (8) absences
4. The parents or guardians of a student who is absent nine (9) or more times must present a clinical or doctor's excuse to the school in order for the absence to be excused
5. Parents or guardians of any student having a chronic ailment that may cause the child to miss school during the year are required to provide the school with a clinical or doctor's statement verifying the child's condition. This must be done as soon as the problem occurs and repeated at the beginning of the school year. The statement shall reflect the nature of the child's illness, and state that the child may have to miss school from time to time due to this illness.
6. Prior permission must be obtained from the principal in order for the absences for out-of-town trips to be excused. Magnet principals will excuse up to 2 days in a single school year. The principal must grant prior permission for the out-of-town trip, and the student must obtain and complete any assignments and have them ready for the teacher on the day he/she returns to school.
7. Excused absences for family vacations are strongly discouraged and will be permitted only if there are unusual circumstances that, within the principal's discretion, merit an excused absence. Further, an excused absence will not be granted unless the parent obtains prior permission from the principal.
8. Students must be in attendance one-half of the instructional day to be counted present. Tardies and early dismissals are strongly discouraged.
9. Parents or guardians of any students having housing instability that may cause the child to miss school during the year are requested to communicate with the school's registrar and/or administrator regarding their living situation.
Students should return to school as soon as possible once they are cleared of lice and nits. Only three days are excused for each occurrence of head lice.
CHECK ATTENDANCE USING THE INOW-PARENT PROGRAM. STUDENTS OFTEN FAIL TO TURN IN NOTES SENT BY A PARENT, AND SOMETIMES TEACHERS DO NOT CORRECT THE ABSENCE. PLEASE MONITOR YOUR CHILD’S ATTENDANCE WEEKLY.