Promotion/Retention Guidelines for Magnet Students
· A student must be promoted in a regular (non-alternative) academic program at the end of the school year to make application for a magnet school.
· A student required to attend summer school for promotion purposes is not eligible to enroll or continue in a magnet school.
· A student moved to the next grade-level because of chronological age is not eligible to enroll or continue in a magnet school.
· A failing magnet student, who does not meet the promotion requirements of her/her current magnet school, may not make application for a different magnet school.
Elementary/Middle School Students
· A Student achieving a yearly average of 70% or above in all regular or advanced course will be promoted to the next grade at all Mobile County Public School System magnet schools.
· A student achieving a yearly average of 60-69% in any regular or advanced course will be promoted to the next grade in a non-magnet school in the Mobile County Public School System or remain at his/her current magnet school and be retained in the current grade.
· A student failing to achieve 70% or above yearly average for two years in any regular or advanced course will be ineligible to remain in the Magnet Schools Program.
· A student achieving a yearly average of 59% or less in any regular or advance course in any Mobile County Public School System magnet school will be required to return to the school serving the student’s attendance zone.
Guidelines for Summer School and Magnet Students
· Magnet students may not attend summer school for promotion.
· All magnet students must be on grade-level at the beginning of the regular academic school year to continue in the Magnet Schools Program.
· Magnet students may attend summer school for enrichment purposes.
Special Education Implementation Plan for All Magnet Schools:
· Beginning with the 2007-2008 school year, all incoming regular and special education students enrolled in magnet schools will be expected to do the following:
-perform on grade level at the time of enrollment
-maintain a yearly average of 70% or above in all courses using only the accommodations listed in the students’ IEPs, and
-adhere to the academic and behavioral policies of the selected magnet school.
A student with modifications listed in his/her IEP will not be eligible for enrollment in a Magnet School Program due to the accelerated nature of the curriculum.